Saturday, March 5, 2011

The Worst Enemies of Writing

I know, I know- it's been a while since I'm updated. Sorry. Again.

Things aren't going so well on my side of the block, and it prompted a question- what are a writer's worst enemies? My theories, in no particular order, are:

1) Fear.
2) Rejection.
3) Bad Writing.
4) Time (or lack thereof).
5) Writer's Block.

Let's just say my week has been full of them. On Tuesday, I found out my short story didn't make it in a contest. I had been waiting for 4 months only to get bad news. Lovely. Naturally, I went back over that short story and ripped it up (editing it, at least). And realized it sucked. Wonderful. And now I have a strong case of writers block.

I have plenty to write, and the time for it, but when I pick up the pencil.... nothing happens. The last time I had writers block this bad was two summers ago, when I spent about nine weeks over five pages in my first book. Ugh. That's about five hundred words, right? Yeah. Nine weeks. It was bad.

I know how the scene I'm working on ends, but not how the situation gets there. I find myself writing scenes for books I'm not even interested in- even fanfictions, which by definition can't get professionally published. I'm just so sick and tired of this book- 653 pages in, and it just keeps going.... I can't believe I actually mapped this all out in my head. I must be insane- five plotlines in one book? Yeah. I must be going crazy.

So now I'm not really sure where this is going.

But that reminds me of WEbook- this great site a friend of mine (I don't know how to tag people- sorry Anna!) showed me. And it has 911 writer's block. Check it out! http://www.webook.com/911writersblock

Is anyone else suffering with writers block? Or has recently? Or ever has?

On a happier note, congrats Christina about finishing The Magician's Inheritance! I've been reading it! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment