Friday, May 6, 2011

Fanfiction

I swear I posted this yesterday... evidently not, though. I don't have any clue how that happened.

But all my energy has been pouring into my fanfic, Sons of War. Why? Because I love the characters, I adore the plot, and I drool over every review I get. On fanfiction.net, you can create a username and post stories for books and movies (etc) that aren't technically yours. And people from across the world can read them and tell you what they think- hense, my addiction to it.

Right now, Sons of War has 144 reviews, 36 alerts (when someone subscribes to a story to know when it's updated), 33 favorites, and 11,143 hits. In other words, a lot of people have read it. The problem is that there are so many different kinds of stories, and people are looking for specifics (specific characters, specific writing style, etc) and so it's hard to find the people I'm aiming at. But when I find them, or they find me... it's wonderful.

I've never met any of my reviewers in my life, and they're from all over the world- England, Australia, Brazil, Russia, and Egypt, for example- but its like I'm finding some long-lost friend. They're brutally honest and gleefully energetic, and I love them so much! I mean, everyone loves being encouraged and hearing people say that they're awesome, but when it specifically refers to my writing... I get the shivers.

So, if you want to know, honest to goodness if your writing is worth a dime, get a fanfiction account and post something. Anything- write a one shot about your favorite character, a poem about some inner turmoil about an angsty character, anything. And people will tell you, honestly and sometimes brutally, if they think you're good.

Or, if you're simply waiting for the next in a series or are bored, get on and start reading. Tell people what you think- trust me, people want to know. The authors are on there for a reason.

So... that's fanfiction.net! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment