Monday, May 30, 2011

He Says It Best

Okay people, so Lucius has been abandoned for the time being. I'm too busy; well, the deadline is, um, tomorrow, and that doesn't give me time to edit.

Anyway, L.B. Grahm is one of my favorite authors, and here's an exerpt from one of his blog posts. It is so true... so true... and he says it best. Enjoy! (My favorite part is in bold, in case you're wondering.)

Hitting a pivotal birthday like 40 tends to produce some reflective moments. Looking back ten years, I think about the fact that when I turned 30, I was an unpublished school teacher developing a fantasy idea that I'd had in college. If you'd told me I'd get someone to buy, not just the first book, but all five, and that ten years later the books would be on many different shelves in many different countries, I would have wondered what you were smoking. As I look ahead, I wonder what the next ten years hold. My brain is an idea factory, and I'm not quite sure where the shut-off valve is. Stories cram into my skull, and I have to write them down to relieve the pressure. Unfortunately, it's easier to conceive an idea than to write a novel, so I'm fighting a losing war.
I wonder what the next ten years hold for the publishing world. Will ebooks and digital publishing revolutionize the industry? Perhaps the better question is how much? Will I look back one day and think, "How quaint that my first series was in paper." Kind of like some classic rock band who made it big with vinyl but now sells most of their music via iTunes.
In the end, I don't know that I care a whole lot. I mean, I like writing and care about the world of writing, but the business side of things is something that I do, only because I have to. What really matters are the stories. They're part of me, and I can't not write them.
Don't get me wrong, there are way more important things in life than writing and being published. I know that. Still it's also true that a big part of my heart and life lives in the space between my fingertips and my keyboard, and that's just how it is.

Isn't he awesome? And his books are just as good! Beyond the Summerland is my favorite. Here's the link to his blog: 
   http://blog.lbgraham.com/

Have a good week!

No comments:

Post a Comment